How to de-cap stock LS flex fuel injectors 12613411

So I have been reading about de-capping the stock LS injectors as a cheap way to get 70# injectors and decided I would give it a shot. I bought a set of 12613411 LS flex fuel truck injectors for $60.00 and read about how to de-cap them. These are very easy and only require a pick to do it. You need to use a bench grinder to de-cap most injectors, so it is nice to just need a pick. After you de-cap the first one it really goes quick and you can do a set of eight in under 20 minutes. You can follow through the pictures and see how I did it. I have sent my injectors off for flow testing and will update this post on how they flowed and the contact info if you would like to get yours flowed.


I started off with 8 stock 12613411 injectors I bought for $60.00 from someone who upgraded their truck to some 80# injectors.


You can see how the metering plate is recessed on the flex fuel injectors , so there is no way to use a grinder to de-cap them.


I had to go the part store and by a set of picks since I did not have any. I found this worked best for me when de-capping the stock injectors, but I am left handed to it may be backwards for most


If you look at the picture before I de-capped the injectors you can see the raised circle surrounding the 4 holes. You want to press the tip of the pick there and I would firmly press while spinning the injector in my hand. It would eventually go under the cap and look like the picture above. You keep pressing and spining and the cap will pop out and then the plate with the four holes will fall out.
The metering plate and pressed in part to hold it in place



The good part is the the plate with the four holes protects the injector from getting damaged while you are prying on the plate that holds it in place.



 Here is the de-capped 12613411 LS flex fuel injector. I have sent them out for flow testing and will post the results. 

So I sent out the injectors for flow testing. For a good set you want to be within 3%, Mine are closer to 12%. So If you are going to de-cap 12616411 flex fuel injectors it is probably best to get at least 16 to send off for flow testing so you will be able to make a good set. My plan is to stick the biggest ones in #7 and #8 and hope for the best. 

For you all your fuel injector flowing and cleaning needs,  Eric Derr is the man. His price was good and he got the de-capped fuel injectors back in a timely manner. He even gave me a call and let me know that they were not within 3%.

Injector flow sheet for de-capped 12613411 flex fuel injectors from Derr Injection.




Comments