What does Restomod mean?

Restomod basically means you are taking an older car and installing more modern drive line and suspension components. They range from mild to wild. My 1963 Ford Falcon will be in between. I have done all the work myself, for better or worse. I tell people that the cool thing about my Falcon is that I did it all in my garage, and the thing that keeps my Falcon from being as cool as it could be is that I did it all in my garage.

I replaced all the front suspension. Luckily for us Falcon owners the Mustang chassis was based off of the Falcon. You can use a lot of the 1965-1966 Mustang parts on early Falcons. I ordered new upper and lower control arms. While it was apart I installed 1979 Ford Granada disc brakes on the front. This is a common upgrade and if you have ever driven a car with 4 wheel drum brakes you will understand why this is so common on the older Falcons and Mustangs. It is also an easy swap. You just need different outer tie rods and some adapters for the brake lines. 

I also installed power brakes. I did lots of searching online and ended up going with a Geo Metro master cylinder. It is small enough to fit nicely, but large enough to work properly. You will have to drill some holes and get a residual pressure valve for the rear drums since the Geo was 4 wheel disc. This took my a while to figure out. 

The biggest upgrade I did was installing a fuel injection set up out of an early 90's Mustang 5.0. You can buy harnesses from Painless Wiring and others, but I chose to read up and spliced into a stock harness and got it working. Fuel Injection is so much better than a carb. I use a Moates Quarterhorse chip and laptop to tune it and couldn't be happier. It was a steep learning curve, but I dig being able to say I tune my own car. 
1963 Ford Falcon Restomod

Later I will update this with pictures and bookmarks to all my favorite sites that has helped my build my car.

Here is picture of how my 1963 Ford Falcon Restomod looks today.




Comments

  1. Restomod is sometimes confused with Automobile Restoration. The difference is that restomod places some portions of the car as they were when it was first offered for sale, and changes or updates others. The latter, on the other hand, means putting the car in the same condition as when it was first offered for sale. And I say, you did a great job ‘restomoding’ your ’63 Ford Falcon! Do you have any more upcoming restomods to work on?

    Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hopefully will just drive and refine it for a little while now. It still needs ton's of little things. Like most old car projects, I am not sure that the restomod will ever be finished. I should have time to update the blog soon. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment