Painted my crappy headers

I need to buy some new headers, but I can't seem to make myself spend the money. The best headers for a 1963 Ford Falcon are probably Doug's Headers, but they are pricey. I have old Hedman headers for 65-73 Mustangs on my Falcon. I put them on back in the 1990's and it required liberal use of a small sledge hammer to clearance the firewall. You can see in this picture just how rusty they are.
Rusty 65-73 Mustang headers on my 1963 Ford Falcon
I went to the parts store and got me some VHT header paint. I almost went with white, but got the black. They have about 6 different colors to choose from.
VHT header paint
The headers are so old, I did not want to invest to much effort in them. I grabbed to Simple Green and some scotchbrite and went to work.
Simple Green and scotchbrite pad to clean headers before painting

After I felt I had scrubbed enough I hung them up to dry. You can see where the headers have been massaged to fit on the Falcon. You can also see where I welded in the O2 sensor bungs for the fuel injection set up from the 5.0 Mustang.
Long tubes on my 1963 Ford Falcon 

It was hard to get a good after picture. For 7 dollars and about 30 minutes of scrubbing I think they look much better than the rusty turds they were.

Long tube painted with VHT for Ford Falcon
Painted headers for my 1963 Ford Falcon

I want to put and x-pipe on the Falcon when all is said and done. I have a welder and will probably get something like this to expand the pipe for welding it up.



Comments