DIY Ford Falcon Hydraulic Clutch with Power Brakes

I am updating the DIY to the current setup I am using. The Miata master cylinder would not work. It was only giving .75 inches of throw on the slave cylinder. You need at least 1 1/8" throw for the T5 transmission I am using. Below is my current setup and it still works with my Geo Metro power brake conversion.

I am getting older so the idea of a hard to press clutch pedal was not sounding very fun to me. So I started looking around for DIY hydraulic clutch setup. Most people go with with a similar set up to this one. I used  his setup for inspiration, but did it my way. One thing with my car is it will be driven. If it ain't snowing, then I plan on driving it. It will eventually break down and I want to be able to get all of my replacement parts locally. With the DIY hydraulic clutch I linked to above I would be looking at a 2 day wait for parts plus shipping cost and they aren't that cheap to begin with. So I kept on searching for DIY Ford Falcon hydraulic clutch setups. I came across this setup on TFFN, go to page 8 for his T5 install, but if you have time read his whole build post. This dude is an amazing fabricator. So now I had a cheap and readily available clutch slave cylinder that was originally for a 1995 Mazda Miata. While I was picking up the slave cylinder from Oreilly's, I asked to see a clutch master cylinder also from a 1995 Mazda Miata. It looked like it would fit, so I got it also. So I am $40.00 dollars into my DIY hydraulic clutch set up for my 1963 Ford Falcon. This is where I went wrong. I should have forked over the money then for the Wilwood master cylinder and saved lots of time and the $20.00 I spent on the Miata master cylinder. My diy hydraulic clutch is working flawlessly with the Wilwood master cylinder and the Miata slave cylinder.


1963 Ford Falcon DIY Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder
PowerTorque® - Clutch Slave CylinderPart # CS2152











Wilwood Master cylinder for diy hydraulic clutch                                               

Make sure to get the 13/16" so you have enough throw on the slave cylinder






Comments

  1. Big problems!!!!!Don't use this setup. You will only get 3/4" travel on the slave cylinder and you at least need 1 1/8". I will update this soon with rev 2 of my DIY hydraulic clutch for a 1963 Ford Falcon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I updated this so you can see the current DIY hydaulic clutch setup that I am using and this one works correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am using the Miata slave cylinder and the Wilwood master cylinder pictured above. They work great together for a cheap DIY hydrualic clutch. You just have to make a mounting bracket for the slave cylinder and mod your firewall for the master cylinder. Make sure you get the 13/16" Wilwood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. If I would have found that I would have tried it before dropping the coin on the wilwood master cylinder. I wish he would have gotten a measurement on how much the clutch fork on the T5 is moving just to be positive that it was moving the required 1 1/8".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for your opinion. I have a 1960 Ranchero w/ manual linkage and have purchased the above MC & slave. My throw-out bearing arm is 6-3/4" from inter pivot point to org. linkage connection point w/ the org. full travel at that point being 2". I calc'd if placing the slave at 3-3/4" away from the inter pivot it will yield me the same 2" travel with 1-1/8" from the slave. I'm I on the right track?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment