10.40's and out of fuel pump which ended up popping a ring land

So my junkyard gen3 5.3 LS has been a great motor. It lived through tuning errors, wastegate problems, and me beating on the car for a little over 2 years. I have video of when the ring land lets go from the 2016 Fall Dragging Rights that was held at Fayeteville Motor Speedway in Oct 2016. This was my third pass for the day. On my first pass I set a new PB with a 10.47 at 123mph. The MPH is a little soft because I got out of it right before crossing the line. I got out of it because it was also my first pass on slicks, and the car moves around a lot more than the good ole drag radials. lol
1963 Ford Falcon LS swapped ON3 76mm turbo

I wasn't sure why the car popped, but looking at the data logs it went lean. I knew my fuel pump was close to being maxed, but was hoping the meth injection would help it out, but my plastic meth tank cracked and there was no meth spraying, which is why I spent the day tearing down my motor.

I pulled all the pistons starting with trusty No.7. It had a broken ring land and a bent rod. I pulled all the others and the pistons are fine, but No.6 also has a bent rod.

Broken ring land 5.3 LS

Spare rod and piston that is not bent
Rod No.6 with a little bend

Rod No.7 with a bend

My car weighs 3508 with me in it, so I am pushing the limits of the gen3 internals in my 5.3 LS. I have spare rods and pistons, but wonder if I should go ahead and upgrade to gen4 while I have it apart.

Comments

  1. I don't see a write up or photos of installing the TH400, did you have to do any tranny tunnel mods? I plan on using a 4L80E in my 63 Falcon, curious for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have to do some trimming underneath to get the TH400 to fit. I cut out the original transmission bracing the went up into the tunnel. I didn't have to do anything to the floor pan. You may have issues since the 4L80E is longer. Let me know how it fits I have thought about switching so I could run more gear and still cruise decent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep you posted, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment